Evening News Nuggets
1. Assam: 35 km-long corridor to be constructed at Kaziranga National Park
To boost wildlife preservation and tourism at Kaziranga National Park, an elevated corridor measuring 35 km from Jakhalabandha to Bokakhat may soon come up at the national park.
2. Mizoram reports highest single-day spike of COVID, over 150 children infected
A health department official informed that 807 people tested positive, with as many as 150 children among the newly infected individuals.
3. Assam: Police rescue 37 people including eight minors from traffickers' clutches
As many as 37 people which also includes eight minors, were rescued from two places in Assam while allegedly being trafficked to Maharashtra and Gujarat.
4. Manipur Congress president quits; eight party members likely to join BJP
Internal rifts within the Congress party in Manipur has surfaced following the resignation of party president Govindas Konthoujam, and reports of eight other party MLAs likely to join the BJP.
5. Assam: Couple from Dibrugarh charged for torturing a minor
Dibrugarh Police, on Tuesday, registered a case against a couple under the Child Labour Act for allegedly torturing a 13-year-old minor.
6. Assam: Elephant killed during gunfight between timber smugglers and forest guards in Dibrugarh
A gunfight between timber smugglers and forest guards at the Dehing-Patkai National park in Dibrugarh led to the death of an elephant on July 19, according to reports.
7. India wins 2nd ODI match against Sri Lanka, clinch series
India defeated Sri Lanka by 3 wickets in the 2nd One Day International (ODI) match at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo on Tuesday to take a 2-0 lead in the 3 match ODI series.
8. India registers 42,105 new COVID-19 cases in last 24 hours, positivity rate at 2.27 pc
With 42,105 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours on Wednesday, India witnessed a slight increase in the number of cases being reported daily, compared to Tuesday's figures.
9. Assam govt organises cycle rally to garner support for Olympian Lovlina Borgohain
The Assam government on Wednesday organised a 7-km cycle rally to support and motivate Lovlina Borgohain, the lone athlete from the state who is part of the Indian contingent at the Tokyo Olympics.