Mid-day News Nuggets
1. FlyBig airlines launches direct flight services between Assam and Arunachal
Private airliner FlyBig on Monday commenced direct flight operations between Guwahati and Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh as a part of the centre's regional connectivity scheme, officials from the Airport Authority of India (AAI) informed.
2. Meghalaya: Mawkasiang Dorbar wary of entry of labourers from outside the state
With six to seven important construction projects undergoing in areas under Mawkasiang in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya, the local Dorbar has urged the government to be vigilant and stringent concerning the entry of outstation labourers who work at the construction sites.
3. Assam CM reviews COVID preparedness at inter-state checkpoints
Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma reviewed the COVID-19 management procedures adhered to at two inter-state checkpoints at Srirampur in Kokrajhar district and Chagolia in Dhubri district on Tuesday.
4. IIT-Guwahati researchers develop smart window materials for automatic climate control of buildings
Researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati have developed smart window materials for automatic climate control of buildings to save energy and reduce carbon emissions.
5. 50- year old killed in Baksa over alleged witch-hunting
Social evils like "witch-hunting" are still prevalent in society. People of some rural areas even now believe in "witchcraft" and black magic.
6. Meghalaya: Oxygen plant at Ganesh Das to be operational in next 24 hours
The Meghalaya government is on its toes concerning the installation of oxygen generation plants in hospitals across the state even as Meghalaya still grapples with the second wave of COVID-19.
7. Meghalaya NGO urges government to ease curfew restrictions amid COVID crisis
The Jaintia Students’ Union (JSU), on Monday, appealed to the district administration of West and East Jaintia Hills to ease the COVID-19 curfew restrictions imposed in the two districts of Meghalaya.
8. India to witness partial lunar eclipse on May 26 from NE, WB
The Ministry of Earth Sciences, on Monday, informed that a total lunar will be visible in India on May 26.
TNT-The Northeast Today is now on WhatsApp. CLICK HERE to receive more updates on your phone.