Mid-day News Nuggets
1. Indian Covid variant detected in 44 countries so far, says WHO
The COVID variant B.1.617, which was first discovered in Maharashtra in October, has now spread to at least 44 other countries, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said in its weekly update on the pandemic.
2. Active cases drop for two consecutive days in India
India records a second dip in the number of active cases for two days consecutively, following a report from the Union Health Ministry.
3. Sikkim: Vaccination drive for 18-44 age group to begin from May 16
The Chief Minister of Sikkim Prem Singh Golay announced that the vaccination process for the 18-44 age group will start from May 16, 2021.
4. Assam imposes tough COVID curbs, extends curfew hours in urban areas
The Assam government issued fresh SOPs (standard operating procedures), extending curfew timings amid the COVID-19 surge of late, particularly in the urban areas, and in a bid to break the virus transmission chain in the state.
5. Eminent Assam littérateur, journalist Homen Borgohain no more
Former Assam Sahitya Sabha president, eminent Assamese littérateur, intellectual and veteran journalist, Homen Borgohain breathed his last in a private hospital on Wednesday.
6. 3.1 magnitude earthquake jolts Assam
An earthquake measuring 3.1 on the Richter scale jolts Sonitpur on May 12.