Mid-day News Nuggets
1. Former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha passes away at 68
Former Director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Ranjit Sinha passed away on Friday morning. He was 68.
2. India records 2.16 lakh COVID-19 cases in one day
India’s recorded 2,16,850 COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours on Friday - the highest single-day spike so far.
3. 71 journalists arrested in Myanmar since February: United Nations
At least 71 journalists have been arrested by Myanmar authorities since the military coup d'état in February, UN Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Thursday.
4. Meghalaya: NGOs stage surprise protest for Inner Line Permit
Members of the Hynniewtrep Achik National Movement (HANM) and Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) staged a protest demanding the implementation of the Inner Line Permit (ILP) outside the Secretariat in Shillong on Friday.
5. West Bengal: Kalimpong border sealed for 72 hours
The borders of Kalimpong district in the Himalayan foothills of West Bengal have been sealed for 72 hours as a precautionary measure for Saturday's polls.
6. IPL 2021: Rajasthan Royals beat Delhi Capitals by three wickets
Rajasthan Royals beat Delhi Capitals by three wickets during their Indian Premier League match at the Wankhade Stadium on Thursday.