Mid-day News Nuggets
1. Assam: Charaideo police detain 9 persons for suspected “human sacrifice”
Charaideo police on Tuesday detained nine persons from the Sonari area of the district for the suspected “human sacrifice” of a four-year-old girl.
2. Mairang district will not be inaugurated on August 15: Nongsiej
Cabinet Minister and MLA of Mawthadraishan, Brolding Nongsiej, has informed that the inauguration of the newly-created Mairang district will not take place on August 15 due to the current COVID-19 situation.
3. Meghalaya govt need to do away with middlemen: Farmers
Farmers from Thynroit, Thadan, Thangsning, and Mawlyngat in East Khasi Hills have urged the government on Tuesday to eliminate the involvement of middlemen and enable farmers to have greater control in setting the price of their agricultural produce.
4. Shillong Hospital, where ATM inventor was born, installs its first ATM
Dr H Gordon Roberts Hospital, Shillong got its first Automated Teller Machine (ATM), after 53 years of the global installation of such a cash dispenser.
5. Performance of JJM implementation in Assam's Barak Valley poor: Minister
Assam Public Health Engineering Department Minister Ranjeet Kumar Dass said that the three districts of Assam's Barak Valley have performed poorly in the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) with only 6 to 8 per cent of this fiscal's target, and that it will have an impact on the overall performance of the state.