Assam lynching case: Five youths held for recording video
GUWAHATI, June 13, 2018: Eight youths were arrested by the police including five for allegedly recording Friday's lynchings in Karbi Anglong district and later sharing it on social media on Tuesday.
Additional director-general of police (law and order) Mukesh Agrawal told the media that five persons had been found guilty of either recording video of the Panijuri lynching incident on their mobile phones or were responsible for circulating it on social media platforms with statements and comments to create enmity and hatred between different communities, resulting in breach of peace.
The five arrested persons are Bireswar Basumatary, Chinthong Engti, Dhani Rongphar, Pabitra Rongpi and Tony Rongphar.
"They have been arrested in connection with a case registered at Diphu police station," Agrawal, who was rushed to the village, said.
They are booked under Sections 120 (B) (criminal conspiracy), 153 (A) (provocation to create riot), 504, 505 (2), 506 and 507 (intentional insult to provoke breach of peace, statements for public mischief) of the IPC and Section 66F of IT Act 2000 (cyber terrorism).
Agrawal said three persons, Bhagyaram Khaklary, Milan Khaklary and Susen Boro were arrested on Tuesday evening for their alleged involvement in the lynching of Nilotpal Das and Abhijit Nath at Panijuri village on Friday evening when they were returning in a SUV from a waterfall, taking the total arrests in the case to 26.
The duo were attacked following "fake news" spread on social media that "child lifters" had entered their area in a car.
The police had earlier arrested 23 people, aged between 18 and 48, from Panijuri and other neighbouring villages who are allegedly involved in the killings. The state police also kept up pressure on those spreading hate messages or videos on social media and arrested at least 12 more youths in the past 24 hours. At least 12 were arrested on Monday.
Additional director-general of police, Harmeet Singh, who was tasked to monitor the social media, said on Tuesday that they had zeroed in on at least 100 such accounts on Facebook and Twitter in the past three days, for indulging in "illegal activities" and had the potential of affecting peace and tranquillity in the state.
Singh said, "Around 60 of these accounts were found to be fake ones and we have already deactivated or deleted those. Many people have also come forward and reported fake news that could create disturbance following our appeal".
Source: The Telegraph
Featured image: The Telegraph