Student suffers burns during Saraswati celebration in Tripura



A schoolgirl’s sari accidentally caught fire in Belonia Bidyapith School of South Tripura District, during Saraswati Puja in the school premises, on February 16.

Reportedly, the victim identified as Jhuma Dey, a class XI student, was distributing Prasad, when her sari caught fire at the puja mandapa.

She suffered burns and was rushed to Bilonia Sub-Divisional Hospital, but was later shifted to GBP Hospital in Agartala.

Doctors said about 80 per cent of her body was burnt and is said to be in critical condition.

(Edited by Gabriel G Momin)