Facts you should know about next CM of Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma
Profile of Himanta Biswa Sarma
• Date of birth: 01.02.1969
• Place of birth: Jorhat
• Father’s Name: Late Kailash Nath Sarma
• Mother’s Name: Mrinalinin Devi
• Natun Saraniya Prathamik Bidyalay, Gandhibasti, Guwahati in 1975
• Kamrup Academy, Guwahati in 1979
• Cotton College
• 1985 H.S. 1st year (Arts) in Cotton College
• 1987 TDC 1st Year with Political Science as Major in Cotton College
• 1991 Admission for Master Degree in Political Science in Cotton College under Gauhati University
• MA (Political Science) from Gauhati Universit
• LL.B from Gauhati University
• PhD under Professor Niru Hazarika of Political Science Department of Gauhati University on the topic of North Eastern Council: A Structural and Functional Analysis
• His debut public speech was delivered in Patacharkuchi in 1979 in an AASU’s rally in the playground of Patacharkuchi Vidyapith
• He was elected to the body of Kamrup Academy as the assistant general secretary for the first time in 1982-83. This was the first election he ever won
• He was elected student body’s general secretary in his final year of high school in 1984-85
• With the progress of Assam Agitation he was given more responsibility in the AASU to organise rallies and mobilise students and became Secretary to the AASU’s Guwahati unit
• Became assistant general secretary of Cotton College Union Society (CCUS) in 1987-88
• Became three times general secretary of CCUS in 1988-89, 89-90 and 91-92. This is a record still in his name.
• Joined as Member Secretary, State Level Advisory Committee for Students and Youth Welfare in 1994, headquartered in Nehru Stadium. This Committee was chaired by Hiteswar Saikia, then CM and worked for the welfare of students and youth clubs in Assam.
• He joined the Congress around that time
• Contested election from Jalukbari LAC in 1996 (lost), 2001 (won), 2006 (won), 2011(won) under Congress ticket
• He was made Minister of State in 2002 in Agriculture Department, P&D etc.
• In 2006 he became Health Minister, in 2011 he was made Minister in Health, Education, Guwahati Development etc.
• He resigned from the Tarun Gogoi ministry in July 2014
• He joined the BJP in August 2015
• Contested election in 2016 in a BJP Ticket and won from Jalukbari.
*2016-2021: Held a Cabinet Minister’s position in the state government and many other important portfolios in the state government, such as finance, planning and development, health and family welfare, education, and PWD.
*Contested election from Jalukbari in 2021 and won for the fifth time.
*May 9, 2021: Chosen leader of BJP Legislature Party and set to become Assam's 15th Chief Minister.
TNT-The Northeast Today is now on WhatsApp. CLICK HERE to receive more updates on your phone.