Guwahati becoming a transit point for drugs trafficking: Assam DGP

The state police have busted major drug rackets in at least 18 districts of the state so far, DGP Bhaskarjyoti Mahanta said.


Guwahati city has become the transit point for the trafficking of drugs to the country's other states, Assam director-general of policed (DGP) Bhaskarjyoti Mahanta said here on December 10.

“The Golden triangle- Myanmar, Laos and Thailand has been a source of production and smuggling of drugs to Assam, and Northeast. India's proximity to the golden triangle has made it vulnerable to the trafficking of drugs and narcotics. The flow of illegal drugs leads to violation of national security which is the foremost concern of the country, This Golden Triangle has now become the death triangle,” Mahanta said while launching one of a kind mobile app called ‘Drugs free Assam’ to collect information about drug rackets across the state.

The app aimed to generate public awareness against contrabands and encourage them to provide viral inputs or leads for police operations. The app can download from Google Play Store.

 “The traffickers transport drugs from Myanmar to Assam vial Mizoram. They keep the entire stock at Dimapur,” Mahanta said.’

Mahanta said that the growing trend of drug addiction in the state has become a major concern for not only the state government but also the Centre.

“Guwahati and the state have turned into a transit point for the infamous drug cartel of South East Asia,” the DGP said.

“We receive some important leads from the public. That’s why we have created this platform where people can alert police about any ongoing drug racket in their areas,” the DGP also said.

“Our chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has asked the state police to conduct a major crackdown on the existing drug rackets in the state and we have formed a special team for the task,” he said.

The state police have busted major drug rackets in at least 18 districts of the state so far, he also said.

“We have received complaints from the public on drug trafficking in the state. Therefore we launched this mobile app. Now the public can provide any information to us through this app.

The top cop claimed that at least 7 crore people in the country are under the influence of the drug. "Many students are also under the influence of the drug,” he said.

“Our police have arrested drug traffickers from 18 states of the country,” he added.

Speaking at the occasion, Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) director-general: Satya Narayan Pradhan said the drugs trafficking can’t be stopped unless Myanmar stops this illegal trade.

“85 per cent of drugs are produced in Afghanistan and several other Middle East countries, while Myanmar produces the rest 15 per cent of drugs in its soil,” Pradhan said.

Pradhan said the NCB has been working in coordination with various international agencies to control drug trafficking in the country.

TNT-The Northeast Today is now on WhatsApp: CLICK HERE to receive more updates on your phone.

ALSO READ: NESO stages protests across Northeast demanding withdrawal of AFSPA