Assam launches special scheme to promote orthodox tea
The Assam Tea Industries Special Incentive Scheme (ATISIS), 2020, was ceremonially launched during a programme here on Sunday.
The scheme is aimed at boosting production of orthodox or speciality tea in the state by extending incentives to the tea gardens.
Under the scheme, the government will provide interest subvention of three percent on working capital loan per annum subject to a maximum of Rs 20 lakh apart from orthodox or specialty tea production subsidy of Rs 7 per kg; 25 percent subsidy for orthodox and speciality tea unit for plant and machinery subject to maximum of Rs 30 lakh and agriculture income tax holiday for three years.
Tea manufacturing units manufacturing either orthodox tea or speciality tea will be eligible for the scheme, which will be applicable only to the units located in Assam.
The scheme is applicable for a period of three years.
Of the total tea produced in the state, around 89 per cent is CTC while the remaining 11 per cent happen to be orthodox and speciality teas.
Launching the scheme, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said the scheme was launched to give a renewed push to production of orthodox tea to establish a balance between orthodox and CTC tea production.
“The new scheme will also help the tea gardens to overcome the present stressed situation,” he said.
(Edited by Christopher Gatphoh)
TNT-The Northeast Today is now on WhatsApp: CLICK HERE to receive more updates on your phone.