Facts to know about Olympian Shiva Thapa
Jul 29, 2016, 12:26 IST|
Shiva Thapa is one shining light to look out for at the Rio Olympics. He is one athlete that the entire country is rooting for to help bring medals to the country. Here are some facts about him.
- Shiva was born in Assam to parents of Nepali origins. His father–Padam Thapa was a karate instructor.
- He showed great potential since his early years and won bronze at the Children Asia International Sports Games which was held in Russia (2008).
- Shiva also qualified for the London Olympics 2012 and is the youngest boxer from the country to do so.
- He was only 18 at the London Olympics and lost in the first round itself, but now at 22 Shiva believes he is much stronger both mentally and physically.
- Shiva Thapa had his first bout under World Series of Boxing USA Knockouts against Ukraine Ottoman's Mykola Butsenko, World Championship Bronze medalist in Miami, Florida.
- Shiva's style of boxing is based on intelligence and skill rather than physical strength and force.
- Shiva trains immensely hard and every day there are different training sessions planned.
(Compiled from Internet sources and news websites)