All you need to know about the 1997 Jarulbachai massacre
Tue, 8 Dec 2015|
- NLFT militants cordoned off the entire village and fired indiscriminately at the sleeping villagers of Jarulbachai in West Tripura District on February, 1997.
- A total of 16 persons including women and children were brutally killed in the massacre, a case considered to be rarest of the rare. Many houses were set on fire and a six-month-old baby was thrown in the fire.
- The CID filed a charge sheet against 11 militants of which trial of Achak Debbarma and Gandhi Debbarma was conducted in the first phase in 2005.
- One militant namely, Ashok Debbarma, alias Achak was awarded death sentence for his hand in the massacre. This is for the first time in the northeast that a death sentence was awarded to a militant. However, Achak's execution is pending in the Supreme Court. Gandhi was awarded life imprisonment.
- Currently, three militants, namely, Mangal Debbarma, Falgun Debbarma and Binay Debbarma were convicted for the massacre and three were released due to lack of evidences.
- After the massacre, all the residents of the mix-populated village -Jarulbachai left the spot and after the end of the militancy era, some of them have now returned.
ALSO READ: LIFE IMPRISONMENT FOR CONVICTS IN JARULBACHAI MASSACRE
(Featured Image: Representational)