Man dies after phone explodes in his pocket


NATIONAL | January 3, 2019:

A 60-year-old man was killed after a phone explosion which took place in
Netavalgarh Pachhli village in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan.

According to media reports, the man had kept the phone in his pocket while he was asleep which exploded.

The incident took place at around 2.30am and before she could do something her husband had suffered burn injuries. The victim was identified as Kishore Singh.

A China-based website called GizmoChina recently picked up the news and erroneously reported that the phone in question was a JioPhone and that the incident happened in Chittagong, Bangladesh. For the snafu you can probably blame auto-correct and likely the lack of relevant information that Chinese have with local Indian geography.

This is not the first time that we have heard of the phones exploding and causing harm, although this one seems extreme and bizarre. Sources within Jio hint that although the incident has nothing to do with JioPhone, after GizmoChina report the company will, just as a precautionary measure, look into the incident.

India Today