Morning News Nuggets
1. Security forces apprehend PREPAK (PRO) cadre in Manipur
In a joint operation, troops of Assam Rifles and Manipur Police on March 10 apprehended an insurgent of proscribed group PREPAK (PRO) from Litan Makhong area of Imphal East.
2. Assam Election 2021: Cong fields ex-BJP leader Sum Ronghang from Diphu seat
The Diphu (ST) Legislative Assembly constituency in Karbi Anglong is all set to witness another battle between two heavyweights, come poll day on April 1.
3. Assam Rifles seize contraband items in Manipur
The Assam Rifles team on March 11 recovered a number of contraband items from Tengnoupal district of Manipur, which were reportedly left unattended.
4. Meghalaya NGOs caution against plying of trucks on weak bridges, seek CM's intervention
Various NGOs of Dainadubi in North Garo Hills (NGH) Meghalaya, met the Chief Minister, Conrad Sangma on Thursday, seeking his intervention into the strategically important BUG bridge at Gairong in the district.
5. Assam Elections 2021: Himanta attends BJP campaign rally at Diphu
Ahead of the Bharatiya Janata Party candidates filing nomination papers of Bidya Sing Engleng from 19-Diphu (ST) LAC and Darsing Ronghang from 18-Howraghat (ST) LAC, Minister, PWD, H&FW and Finance, Himanta Biswa Sarma attended a BJP campaign rally at Diphu, Government Boys Higher Secondary School playground.
6. Meghalaya: Opposition MLAs to table "breach of privilege" motion against CM Conrad Sangma
Members of the Opposition bench of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly on Thursday decided to table a “Breach of Privilege” motion against Chief Minister Conrad Sangma for allegedly “misleading” the House on the issue relating to the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA).
7. Assam Congress launches ‘Congressor 5 Guarantee’ Yatra
The Assam Pradesh Congress Committee launched its ‘Congressor 5 Guarantee’ Yatra, in the State, on Thursday.
8. Meghalaya: Man sentenced to 15 years’ rigorous imprisonment in POCSO case
The Court of Special Judge (POCSO), Nongstoin on March 11, convicted an accused person Khlainborlin L Rngaid and sentenced him to 15 years rigorous imprisonment with a fine of ₹ 30,000.
9. Assam tea tribe body announces shutdown of tea gardens on March 22
The Assam Tea Tribes Students' Association (ATTSA) on March 11 announced a complete shutdown of all tea gardens in Brahmaputra and Barak valley on March 22 against the lackadaisical approach of the state government towards tea workers.
10. “Power crisis” turns into hot topic of discussion in Meghalaya Assembly
The “power crisis” in Meghalaya is one of the most discussed topics in the ongoing budget session of the Assembly. Apart from suggestions and views, rants and tirades were also shared, with a blame-game being part of the discussion.