Morning News Nuggets
1. Security forces apprehend UNLF and PREPAK insurgents in Manipur
A joint team of Manipur Police and Assam Rifles on March 8 apprehended two insurgents of proscribed groups, the United National Liberation Front (UNLF) and People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK) from Imphal East.
2. Assam: ULFA (pro-talks) leader, 2 others arrested
Assam police have arrested three members of the pro-talks faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), including its vice-chairman, Pradip Gogoi, official sources confirmed on Tuesday.
3. Meghalaya: Village administration reports over non-functional school in West Khasi Hills
The Village Dorbar of Umiong village, under West Khasi Hills, Meghalaya, met the Sub-Divisional School Education officer, on Monday regarding a school that has been non-functional for almost six years.
4. Assam elections 2021: Karbi Anglong police seize ₹ 40 lakh
Karbi Anglong police during an intensified checking recovered ₹ 40 lakh from a passenger of a bus under Borpathar police station.
5. Meghalaya: Grim water situation in Tura
Tura is currently under the grip of a virtual drought, as most of the major water sources have either dried up or not in a position to provide more.
6. Drugs worth over ₹ 60 lakh seized in Assam
Karbi Anglong police on March 8 detained a vehicle and recovered 40 soap cases packed with suspected heroin.
7. Meghalaya Assembly discusses progress of JJM, pending arrears for govt employees & others
Meghalaya PHE Minister Renikton Tongkhar, on Tuesday, informed that at least 34.59 per cent of the Functional Households Tap Connections (FHTCs) are targeted to finish up to March 2021.
8. 20 Cadres from different outfits surrender in Manipur
20 cadres from different underground outfits laid down their arms before the Chief Minister of Manipur N. Biren Singh on March 9, during a homecoming ceremony organised by the State Home Department.
9. What Mizoram can teach Northeast & rest of India about Traffic
Mizoram, one of the states in the Northeast India, has been recognised as a ‘silent city’ due to the fact that the drivers rarely honk their horns unless extremely necessary.
10. Assam Chief Minister Sonowal files nomination from Majuli constituency
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Tuesday filed his nomination papers from Majuli for the second term for the upcoming Assembly polls.