Morning News Nuggets
1. Meghalaya Cabinet: Slew of measures to revitalise state economy
The Meghalaya Cabinet, on Thursday, approved the proposal of the Transport Department to enhance taxes on booking of “fancy vehicle number.”
2. Security forces apprehend HPCD cadre in Manipur
The Assam Rifles troops apprehended one active insurgent of the proscribed group Hmar People's Convention Democratic(HPCD) on January 25.
3. Tripura: 50-year-old woman dies in elephant attack
A 50-year-old lady became a victim of an elephant attack here on Thursday after a herd of elephants attacked the vehicle on which she was travelling.
4. Assam deports 19 Bangladeshi nationals
Nineteen Bangladeshi nationals, who were lodged in different jails of Assam over the past two to three years, were repatriated to their country through the Sutarkandi international border in Karimganj district on Thursday.
5. Manipur Education Department to take strict action against teachers if absent during office hours
Manipur Education Minister S. Rajen Singh, on Thursday, informed that strict action will be taken against the teaching and non-teaching staff if they are absent from schools or colleges during the office hours.
6. Meghalaya: Radiation levels at Nongbah Jynrin within safety levels
The state government had earlier requested the North-Eastern Hill University (NEHU) to assist a third party investigation in connection with the alleged radiation hazard at Nongbah Jynrin in South West Khasi Hills (SWKH) district to find out the levels of radiation from the area.
7. Sikkim secures third position in Kala Utsav competition
Grace Sundas, a student of Tadong Senior Secondary School, East Sikkim, secured the third position in the newly introduced concept of indigenous toys and games at the national level competition for Kala Utsav.
8. Meghalaya Cabinet announces date for GHADC elections
The Meghalaya Cabinet, on Thursday, announced that the Garo Hills Autonomous District Council (GHADC) elections would be on April 9, 2021.
9. Nagaland Chief Secretary Temjen Toy passes away at 57
Nagaland Chief Secretary Temjen Toy, IAS passed away on January 28 in Kohima.
10. Meghalaya: Man drowns in Umiam river
A 25 year-old man drowned in Umiam river near Dwarksuid bridge in Ri Bhoi district around 11:25 on Thursday.