Mid-day News Nuggets
1. Over 100 people fleeing Myanmar enter Mizoram
Over 100 people fleeing Myanmar have entered Mizoram since last month’s military coup in the neighbouring Southeast Asia country.
2. Arunachal: Awareness campaign on Adi Kebang Ayon concludes in Lower Dibang valley
The month-long awareness campaign on Adi Kebang Ayon (AKA) organised by Lower Dibang Valley and East Siang district unit including the apex body of Bogum Bokang Kebang (BBK) successfully concluded at Poplung Musup/Community hall, Dambuk in Lower Dibang Valley.
3. Meghalaya: Welfare policy sought for differently-abled persons in Nongpoh
The Deputy Commissioner, Ri Bhoi District, Nongpoh has informed that the Central Government has set up the National Schemes for Persons with Disabilities and Organisations working for the benefit of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs).
4. Services hit as bank employees begin two-day strike
The United Forum of Bank Union (UFBU), an umbrella body of nine bank unions, has called for a two-day nationwide strike on March 15 and 16 against the privatisation of Public Sector Banks and retrograde banking reforms.
5. Key names figure in BJP list for third phase Assam polls
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has released a list of 17 candidates for the third and final phase of the Assam Assembly elections on April 6, with key names such as Cabinet Minister Chandra Mohan Patowary and incumbent minister Siddhartha Bhattacharya figuring in the list.
6. India records highest single-day spike in 85 days with 26,291 fresh COVID-19 cases
India recorded the highest single-day spike in 85 days with 26,291 fresh COVID-19 cases.
7. Tripura: Banks join nationwide protest against privatisation
The two-day bank strike, called by the United Forum of Bank Unions, received an overwhelming response in the northeastern state of Tripura as nearly 90 per cent of bank branches closed their doors.
8. At least 250 cases of illegal coal transportation registered in Meghalaya, says CM Conrad
At least 250 cases of illegal transportation of coal have been registered in the state so far, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma told the Assembly.