Mid-day News Nuggets
1. Dipa Karmakar receives ‘Tripura Bibhusan’ Award
Olympian Dipa Karmakar was honoured with the ‘Tripura Bibhusan’ award on the occasion of the 49th Statehood Day.
2. Construction on 'own territory' normal, says China on report of building village in Arunachal
China's construction activities on "its own territory" is "normal" and is entirely a matter of sovereignty, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said reacting to a report about China building a new village in Arunachal Pradesh.
3. Tripura Congress leader arrested in party president attack case
Almost a week after the attack on Tripura Congress president Pijush Biswas, the police on Thursday arrested the head of the party's minority cell in the state, Joydul Hossain for his alleged involvement in the attack.
4. Arunachal Pradesh to install VSAT in select govt schools
The Arunachal Pradesh government has decided to install Very Small Aperture Terminals (VSAT) in select government schools for facilitating online education.
5. Arunachal Pradesh: Apex Professional University observes 4th convocation
The Apex Professional University (APU) in Arunachal Pradesh's Pasighat observed its 4th convocation ceremony.
6. Traffic regulations in Shillong for Home Minister Amit Shah's visit
Shillong police have made special traffic arrangements in view of the visit of Home Minister Amit Shah to Shillong on January 23 to attend the 69th Plenary Session of the North Eastern Council (NEC) at Nongrim Hills.
7. US seeks 5-year extension of nuclear pact with Russia: WH
The United States seeks a five-year extension of the New START treaty, the White House has said, asserting that President Joe Biden has long been clear that this is in the national security interest of the US.
8. Stokes, Archer return to England team for first two Tests against India
Explosive all-rounder Ben Stokes and pacer Jofra Archer on Thursday returned to a 16-member England squad named for the first two Tests of the upcoming four-match series against India.