Mid-day News Nuggets
1. ULFA(I) threatens to attack oil installations in Arunachal Pradesh
The United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA-I) has threatened to attack oil installations, including Oil India in Arunachal Pradesh if they cannot produce ransom.
2. Schools reopen in Arunachal Pradesh for students of classes 8, 9 & 11
Schools in Arunachal Pradesh reopened for students of classes 8, 9 and 11 on January 4 by adhering to COVID-19 protocols.
3. Anti-CAA protests: Govt committed to protect identity of NE people, says Rijiju
Union Minister of State for Sports and Youth Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Monday allayed fears of dilution and erosion of culture and social practices in the Northeast with the enactment of the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).
4. Assam Rifles, Manipur police recover huge cache of arms and ammunition
Assam Rifles and Manipur Police recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition from Nungnag village in Nonei district of Manipur.
5. Discussion on transfer of WW II airfield to Manipur govt underway: Biren Singh
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh on Tuesday informed that the discussion on the transfer of the World War II airfield at Koirengei in Imphal East from the Ministry of Defence to the state government is underway.
6. Tripura: Massive fire breaks out near AIR office in Agartala
A massive fire broke out at a settlement office near All India Radio (AIR) at Agartala in Tripura on January 4.
7. Three persons test positive for new coronavirus strain in Rajasthan's Sriganganagar dist
Three persons in Rajasthan's Sriganganagar district have reportedly tested positive for the new UK classified coronavirus.
8. UK PM Boris Johnson announces new nationwide lockdown
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on January 4 announced a new national lockdown in England, to contain a new variant of coronavirus.
9. Alibaba CEO Jack Ma suspected missing since Oct: Reports
Chinese business giant Jack Ma is suspected to have gone missing reportedly by various sources.
10. Ethiopian forces arrest 17 suspects over communal riot
The Western Ethiopian forces arrested 17 suspects for their alleged involvement in communal violence that broke out, in Metekel zone's Bekoji village.