Mid-day News Nuggets
1. Arunachal Pradesh: BJP wins Pasighat civic body polls
The BJP wrested the Pasighat Municipal Council (PMC) from the Congress by winning six of the eight seats of the civic body in Arunachal Pradesh.
2. Union Minister Amit Shah lays foundation stone of medical college, law colleges in Assam
Union Home Minister Amit Shah laid the foundation stone of a medical college and nine law institutes, besides launching two other projects in Assam during his visit to the state.
3. Meghalaya: North Garo Hills police conduct liquor raids, recover IMFL
North Garo Hills (NGH) police on December 24 recovered a huge stock of Indian-made foreign liquor(IMFL) that was meant to be sold during the two dry days on December 24 and 25.
4. Around 50 Naga insurgents likely to join national mainstream: Military sources
Around 50 insurgents belonging to a breakaway faction of the Naga militant outfit NSCN-K are likely to join the national mainstream as the group is finding it difficult to survive following enhanced cooperation between the Indian Army and the Myanmarese armed forces along the border.
5. Returnee from United Kingdom found COVID positive in Tripura
A returnee from the United Kingdom was found to be COVID positive in Tripura.
6. The digital campaign against Centre's farmer policy got a huge response: TMC
The Trinamool Congress (TMC) on Saturday claimed that its digital media campaign against the Narendra Modi government's policy towards the farming community has got a huge response on Twitter.
7. First 'toy bank' opens in Najafgarh zone
The South Delhi Municipal Corporation opened a first-of-its-kind toy bank in Najafgarh zone, for children who can't afford them.
8. Demand for institutional quarantine of UK returnees in Goa
In view of a new strain of coronavirus found in the United Kingdom, an MLA in Goa demanded institutional quarantine of those who have tested positive for the infection on their return to the state from the UK.
9. Shopian 'fake' encounter: J-K Police files charge sheet against Army officer and two others
The Jammu and Kashmir Police has filed a charge sheet against three people, including an Army officer, in the Shopian alleged fake encounter killings of three civilians in July this year.
10. Four killed as military chopper crashes in North Pakistan
A Pakistani army helicopter on a rescue mission crashed overnight, killing all four aboard.