Mid-day News Nuggets
1. Arunachal Pradesh | Over 8,000 security personnel to be deployed for panchayat & municipal elections: IGP
Over 8,000 security personnel would be deployed for the panchayat and municipal elections to be held in Arunachal Pradesh on December 22.
2. After BTC, ruling BJP triumphs in Tiwa council polls
After taking the reins of a three-party alliance in the Bodoland Territorial Council earlier this month, the ruling BJP in Assam registered a landslide victory in the Tiwa Autonomous Council (TAC) polls bagging 33 of the 36 seats, with ally AGP bagging two seats and Opposition Congress winning just one seat.
3. Manipur: Four arrested in Chandel for circulating pamphlets inciting communal hatred
Manipur Police in a release said that Kankhu Phetha Volunteers (KPV) a newly formed unlawful organisation in Chandel circulated a pamphlet which is as notice cum warning.
4. Residents of Meghalaya's Ampati go on rampage over business blockade
Residents of Ampati in South West Garo Hills (SWGH) district of Meghalaya went on a rampage, destroying shops while also setting the offices of various NGOs on fire after trade between residents of the district and that of Mankachar in Assam was stopped by some student groups.
5. Meghalaya CM to be tested again for COVID-19 after 10 days
Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma will again be tested after 10 days since he tested positive for COVID-19 on December 11.
6. NSCN-IM stops Naga youth's peace march for "violating" outfit's disciplinary code of conduct
The National Socialist Council of Nagaland - Isak Muivah (NSCN-IM) on Saturday clarified that peace mission walk carried out by a Naga youth from Manipur, YS Mashungmi was a “violation of a disciplinary code of conduct” of the NSCN IM.
7. Nagaland govt bans use of flex banners, boards and posters
Nagaland government has banned the use of flex banners, boards and posters by departments, institutions and agencies during functions or programmes.
8. Simranjeet, Manish strike gold; India end Cologne WC campaign with 9 medals
Indian boxers Simranjeet Kaur (60kg) and Manish (57kg) notched up gold medals with contrasting final wins in the Cologne World Cup in Germany.
9. Pak Foreign Minister alleges India planning ‘surgical strike’
Pakistan Foreign Minister Mahmood Qureshi alleged that “India is planning a surgical strike to divert attention from its ‘domestic troubles’.
10. Boxing: Satish enters finals of Cologne World Cup
Commonwealth Games silver-medallist Satish Kumar (+91kg) advanced to the final of boxing's Cologne World Cup in Germany after beating France's Djamili Dini Moindze in the semifinals.