Evening News Nuggets
1. Meghalaya NGO raises objection after non-existent coal auctioned by SWKH administration
The United Achik Youth Forum (UAYF), South West Khasi Hills (SWKH) has raised objections against the administration after one of the Autonomous District Council (ADC) had auctioned over 26000 MT of ‘seized coal’ which they allegedly did not even exist.
2. Assam legislator booked for derogatory remarks on BJP MLA
A case was registered against Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) legislator Kamal Shing Narzary for allegedly making derogatory remarks against its ally BJP’s MLA Angoorlata Deka, police said.
3. Meghalaya: Big boost to aquaculture in West Garo Hills
To encourage more fish sanctuaries in the region, the Mandal Wari Fish Sanctuary along the Ganol River at Ganol A’pal near Tura was inaugurated by Thomas A Sangma, Adviser to the Chief Minister, Government of Meghalaya.
4. Mizoram Police seize 90 gm of heroin in Champhai district
Assam Rifles and state police in a joint operation seized 90 gm of heroin and arrested one person in Champhai district, an official said.
5. Assam police arrest 3 Rohingya women in Cachar district
Assam Police apprehended three Rohingya women, who fled from Vairengte police station in Mizoram, from Dholaikhal in Assam’s Cachar district.
6. Meghalaya: Miscreants abduct delivery man in West Garo Hills
A man identified as Sayful Islam went missing along with his motorcycle, while on his way to deliver fish to a marriage party.
7. IUCN report flags conservation concerns for Manas National Park
A report of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) highlighted significant concerns for Manas National Park in Assam in terms of conservation.
8. Manipur student organisations ask state government to look into absence of VC in MU
Six different student bodies namely Democratic Students Alliance of Manipur (DESAM), All Manipur Students Union (AMSU), Manipur Students Federation (MSF), Kangleipak Students Association (KSA), Students Union of Kangleipak (SUK) and Apunba Ireipakki Maheiroi Sinpanglup (AIMS), urged the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and the state government to look into the matter regarding the absence of a Vice-Chancellor (VC) for over a week now in Manipur University (MU).
9. Sikkim: More seats for Gangtok Municipal Corporation
The Sikkim government has increased the number of seats in Gangtok Municipal Corporation from 17 to 19 seats.
10. Kiddies Corner bags two gold medals in World Virtual Choir Festival 2020
KC Lights, led by the headmaster of Kiddies Corner School, Brian N. Wallang, bagged two gold medals in the 2nd Bandung Choral Society (BCS) World Virtual Choir Festival 2020, in Indonesia.