Evening News Nuggets
1. Goalpara shootout: Cops arrest 70-year-old man, seize gun
Assam Police have arrested a 70-year-old man after he allegedly fired indiscriminately from atop his multi-storied residence, injuring six people, including passers-by, in the heart of Goalpara town.
2. 39th Edition of Agartala Book Fair from February 26
Tripura Deputy Chief Minister Jishnu Deb Barma, on Monday, said that the 39th edition of the Agartala Book Fair, 2021, would begin from February 26 at Hapania fairground.
3. Excise sleuths seize liquor from truck in Assam; driver held
Excise Intelligence Bureau (EIB) sleuths seized around 1,100 Indian-made foreign liquor (IMFL) cases from a truck at Rangia in lower Assam’s Kamrup district on Monday evening.
4. Assam Congress Leader urges NHRC to protect rights of Tinsukia, Nagaon settlers
Assam Congress leader Debabrata Saikia has sought the intervention of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) following the eviction of indigenous people belonging to ST and OBC communities in the Tinsukia and Nagaon districts.
5. Four NLFT cadres arrested in Tripura
Tripura Police arrested four National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) cadres from Takarjala in Sepahijala district.
6. Schools in Nagaland to open from February
The advisor to the Education Department of the Government of Nagaland, K Tokugha Sukhalu, on Tuesday informed that schools across the state will reopen from February 2021.
7. Manipur becomes the fourth state in India to complete Urban Local Bodies reforms
Manipur has become the fourth state in the country to complete urban local bodies reforms (ULB) and consequently received the Union Finance Ministry’s approval for additional borrowing of Rs 75 crore.
8. First batch of COVID-19 vaccines reach Northeast shores
The first batch of the COVID-19 vaccines reached the Northeast by a special flight, landing at the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (LGBI) on Tuesday evening.