Evening News Nuggets
1. Tripura CM meets PM Modi, central leaders in New Delhi
Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb on Wednesday met Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Union Minister Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi.
2. Assam Rifles recover areca nuts worth Rs 97 lakh in Mizoram
Troops of Assam Rifles on Wednesday recovered 34 tons of illegal areca nuts worth about Rs 97 lakh in Mizoram.
3. 12 Nepali-speaking communities in Sikkim seek Scheduled Tribe status
‘Majhis’, the boatmen community of Sikkim, whose population is less than 1000 living mostly at the banks of the Teesta and Rangeet rivers in South Sikkim, have also demanded the Scheduled Tribe (ST) status in the state.
4. Laika-Dodhia villagers keep stir on; pregnant woman at camp falls ill
A pregnant woman, camping with protesters, demanding rehabilitation of over 1400 families living in Laika and Dodhia villages under Dibru Saikhowa National Park in Upper Assam, fell ill and was admitted to the Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) in Dibrugarh in critical condition.
5. Jal Jeevan Mission to ensure tap water for every rural household in Meghalaya
Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma, on Thursday, announced the approval of Rs. 43,73.04 lakh to implement the Jal Jeevan Mission in the state.
6. World Education Conference to start from January 15
Delhi based media house ‘The Policy Times’ in collaboration with Shiv Nadar University, will organise a three-day virtual conference under the name ‘World Education Conference’ (WEC) from January 15 to January 17 from 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Zoom.
7. Extremists trying to revive militancy in Tripura, says IG BSF
Extremists have mushroomed in Tripura, BSF Inspector General (IG) of Tripura Frontier, Sushanta Kumar Nath informed in a press conference on Thursday.
8. Manipur CM lays the foundation stone for women markets
Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, on Thursday, laid the foundation stone for two women's markets at Sekmai and Kanglatongbi town in Imphal West.
9. Manipur UK returnee tests negative for new Covid strain
Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, on Thursday, said that the Manipur UK returnee tested negative for the new COVID-19 strain at NIV Pune.
10. Meghalaya: Organisations sign MoU to promote SC/ST entrepreneurs
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Indian Institute of Management-Shillong and the Dalit Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DICCI), to develop business leadership skills for the youths of Northeast India.