Evening News Nuggets
1. Two dead, several injured in Tripura road accident
Two people died in a road accident on December 28 in Dhalai district of Agartala when a jeep fell over a gorge.
2. Assam says neighbouring states encroached on its land 56 times in 2020
The Assam government on December 28 informed the assembly that the state has faced 56 instances of land encroachment by the neighbouring states such as Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland and Mizoram in 2020.
3. Tripura bags best performing state for implementing PMAY-U
Tripura was declared the best performing state for implementing the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U) scheme in the North-Eastern Region, according to a letter sent on December 27.
4. Facts about newly appointed Archbishop of Shillong Bishop Victor Lyngdoh
His Holiness Pope Francis has appointed Most Reverend Victor Lyngdoh (64), currently Bishop of Jowai, as Archbishop of Shillong.
The announcement was made public in Rome on December 28 afternoon corresponding to 16:30 hours, Indian Standard Time (IST).
5. 98.35 per cent fencing work along Assam-Bangladesh border completed
Transport Minister Chandra Mohan Patowary on December 28 said that 98.35 per cent fencing work at Assam-Bangladesh border has been completed.
6. Assam Education Minister introduces bill to repeal 'Provincialisation of Madrassa'
Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, on Monday, introduced a bill to repeal the Provincialisation of Madrassa in Assam.
7. Two killed in clash over land dispute in Assam
Two persons were killed in a clash between two families over a plot of land in Assam's Dhubri district on Sunday, police said.
8. EDITORIAL | Should Home Minister Amit Shah focus only on Assam and Manipur?
Home Minister Amit Shah’s visit to Assam and Manipur is a political textbook manoeuvre, with the NSCN-K (Niki Sumi) faction trying to forge a truce with the Union government, keeping the Naga Peace Accord alive and the election in Assam scheduled for April-May 2021.
9. Arunachal Pradesh CM releases state assembly’s e-calendar
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu on Sunday released the e-calendar of the state assembly for 2021, the first of its kind by any government establishment in the country.
10. Meghalaya: BSF refutes allegations of killing Bangladesh national
The Border Security Force (BSF), Meghalaya, has refuted the allegations of killing a Bangladesh national identified as Khairul Islam on the night of December 22, 2020.