Evening News Nuggets
1. Two truck drivers apprehended with smuggled goods worth over Rs 2 crore in Manipur
Troops of Assam Rifles on Wednesday arrested two truck drivers and, recovered smuggled apparels and shoes worth over Rs 2.14 crore at Tengnoupal in Manipur.
2. ADB approves $231 mn loan for Assam hydropower project
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $231 million loan to construct the Lower Kopili Hydroelectric Power (LKHEP) plant in central Assam, an official statement said.
3. Assamese film 'Life In A Puppet' bags four top awards at Port Blair international fest
An Assamese film, Life In A Puppet, stole the show at the Port Blair International Film Festival last Friday, bagging four top titles – “Best Film” in both national and international categories, “Best Director” and the “Best Producer” award.
4. EDITORIAL | One year and on, anti-CAA temper prevails in Assam
The anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) agitation is far from over in India’s Northeast region as social organisations are still apprehensive about the applicability of this act.
5. Sacked teachers of Tripura stage protest as CJI visits Agartala
The 10, 323 sacked teachers of Tripura on Wednesday welcomed the Chief Justice of India, Arvind Bobde to Agartala with a protest by covering their eyes with a black cloth to express their plight of being "ignored" by the judicial system.
6. Nagaland: NSCN-K announces ceasefire, returns to peace talks
The Naga insurgent group NSCN-K, led by Niki Sumi, on December 23 announced a ceasefire and said that it has contacted the central government for initiating a peace dialogue.
7. Mizoram | Employees under Samagra Shiksha mission will get salaries before Christmas: Minister
Over 4,000 employees under Samagra Shiksha mission will get their salaries before Christmas, Mizoram Education Minister Lalchhandama Ralte said on Tuesday.
8. 12 rappers, 8 states, 1 cause: 'Northeast Cypher 2020'
Northeast India, apart from the natural beauty, is well-known for its tryst with music. All its eight states have seen many talented artists rise to national platforms and awe the audience with their rhythm and harmony.
9. 70 organisations in Assam gear up for anti-CAA protests from December 24
Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and its youth wing Chatra Mukti Sangram Samiti (CMSS) along its various umbrella organisations will start a statewide movement against the Citizenship Amendment Act from December 24.
10. Meghalaya police recover more hidden GNLA ammunition
Meghalaya police on December 23 recovered another cache of ammunition allegedly belonging to the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) from the village of Chipot Mongre Abri.