GUWAHATI: The gruesome triple murder case suspect Nayanjyoti Bhattacharya claimed his innocence and denied his involvement with the killing in June last. Avoiding arrest for over a month, city based businessman Bhattacharya showed up before city police on Saturday late night following the Gauhati granted anticipatory bail to him last week.
After police recovered a note mentioning Nayanjyoti’s name from Pranab Kumar Mahanta’s house who allegedly killed his wife and two daughters before disappearing mysteriously, he too had gone underground.
Despite facing severe criticism from civil society groups, the city police commissionerate failed to catch him. City police have washed their hands off saying that he left Assam.
The suspect told media that his name was entangled with the crime for no reason as he is innocent. “Pranab was known to me over business terms. But I am nowhere related to the incident,” Nayanjyoti said.
Replying to questions of his disappearance and avoid the investigation illegally, he added, “The way my name popped up in the entire incident, I got scared. I was just waiting for the anticipatory bail process to get over. I am ready to face the investigation and cooperate with it in all way.”
Earlier, city police registered a case against him charging him abatement to the crime. However, police have so far failed to get substantive evidences against him. (TNT News)