Meghalaya mine tragedy: Decomposed body of one miner pulled out

 | 

SHILLONG | Jan 24, 2019:

After almost six week, the body of one of the miners trapped in the rat hole mine in Ksan village in East Jaintia Hills, which was earlier spotted, was pulled out by the Indian Navy on Thursday.

The body was spotted last week by the team conducting the rescue operations. But it had disintegrated and slipped to the bottom of the main shaft as the Navy tried to pull it out of the flooded mine.

"We have recovered the body and it is heavily decomposed," said Santosh Kumar Singh, an official from the National Disaster Response Force.

According to initial reports, on Thursday the body was retrieved from a depth of 100 feet in the mine.

Navy divers detected the body using a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) at a depth of around 160 feet inside the main shaft on Wednesday last.

WATCH THIS VIDEO REPORT ON MINE TRAGEDY:

They resumed efforts to pull out the body on Tuesday on the advice of the district administration.

The remains of the miner slipped away from the jaw of the ROV while attempting to pull it out of the bottom of the main shaft of the coal mine last evening, operations spokesperson R. Susngi said.

The operation to rescue the miners entered the 42nd day on Wednesday.

In the past 24 hours, teams of pump operators from Coal India Ltd, Odhisa Fire Service and Kirloskar Brothers Ltd have discharged over 81 lakh litres of water from the nearby abandoned mines.

Family members of the trapped miners have been waiting anxiously for news of their loved ones and are visiting the site regularly and they are regularly updated on the progress, Susngi said.

The 15 miners disappeared inside the mine on December 13 last year.

The state government has announced Rs 1 lakh interim relief for families of all the trapped miners and the Supreme Court is monitoring the case on a weekly basis. The next hearing is scheduled for Monday.

With inputs from PTI