Meghalaya govt awaits SC nod to call off Ksan rescue ops

 | 

SHILLONG | May 28, 2019:

Meghalaya Chief Minister, Conrad K Sangma has said that the Government is hopeful that the Supreme Court would accept the appeal for calling off the rescue operations at Ksan village in East Jaintia Hills.

"We have appealled before the Supreme Court for calling off the rescue operations. We are waiting for the apex court to give its ruling on this matter," Chief Minister told reporters on the sideline of the swearing-in of Justice AK Mittal as the new Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court which was held at Raj Bhavan here today.

According to Conrad, now it is obviously clear there are is no survivors.   "This operation have been a difficult one for all the stakeholders and I hope that we will get relief and we will be allowed to stop," Meghalaya Chief Minister said.

Earlier, the state government had petitioned the Supreme Court to consider calling off the operations and also submitted no objection certificate from family of the miners to call off the operations. The matter is listed for hearing in the month of July in the Supreme Court after the vacation.

 It may be mentioned that it has been more than five months since 16 miners were trapped in a coal mine at Ksan village on December 13 last year.

The rescue operations is yet to achieve the desired results despite the involvement of multiple agencies.  So far only two bodies of the miners have been retrieved from the coal mine and while the Odisha fire service team and navy divers were called off, the Kirloskar brothers, Coal India Limited, the SDRF and NDRF are still deployed at the site of the operations who are carrying out the de-watering process until recently when the operation had to be temporarily suspended due to heavy rain and flooding.