Assam: Mob beat woman, son to death in Tinsukia on suspicion of having killed son’s wife, daughter


Guwahati | June 09, 2019

A 48-year-old woman and her son, Jamuna Tanti (48) and Ajay Tanti (25), were beaten to death by a mob in upper Assam's Tinsukia district on suspicion of having killed Ajay's wife and her two-month-old baby girl. The incident took place at Sewpur tea estate at around 1.30pm on Friday.


Locals said Ajay had informed his in-laws and neighbours on June 5 that his wife, Radha Tanti (23), and daughter had gone missing.


As the duo remained traceless, Radha's family members, suspecting foul play, reached the couple's home and started searching their place. The shadow of suspicion fell on the in-laws because there used to be frequent domestic quarrels, local residents said. Ajay and Radha were married two years ago.

During the search, her family members found Radha's body in a septic tank near the house. The news of the horrific discovery soon spread and hundreds of tea garden workers gathered outside the house. The mob then dragged out Ajay and attacked him, accusing him of killing his wife and daughter. His mother Jamuna was also not spared as the mob attacked the duo with bamboo splinters and rods. Even the police who arrived shortly afterwards did not dare to intervene after seeing the fury of the mob. In a video of the incident, which was taken on a phone camera and has since gone viral on social media, a group of people are seen attacking the mother and the son, who have fallen to the ground. Undetterred, the mob continue to hit them with rods and sticks, even as the police stand by as mute spectators.

Later, Jamuna and Ajay were taken to the Tinsukia civil hospital where the former was declared dead on arrival. Her severely injured son was shifted to the Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh, where he died on Saturday morning.

Police said they have registered an FIR on their own. Tinsukia police station officer in charge Dipak Tamuli said, "We have registered a case against unknown persons. No one has been arrested so far. We are examining the video clip and trying to trace the couple's two-month-old daughter."

Source: Times of India