By Our Correspondent, TNT News | SHILLONG, Dec 16, 2017
With three Northeastern states going to polls next year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has now turned his gaze to the East — Look and Act East.
Playing the ‘development’ card, PM Modi in his visit to Mizoram and Meghalaya on Saturday highlighted the number of projects taken and proposed by the NDA government for the over all development of Northeast India. His opening lines: “I am so happy to be in Meghalaya. I have fond memories of my visit to this state last year. The taste of the tea which was served to me during my last year’s visit still lingers on”
Excerpts of PM Modi’s speech during the BJP’s ‘Rally for Change’ at Polo Ground, Shillong
- We believe in ‘transformation by transportation.’ Improved connectivity will bring unparalleled opportunities for the Northeast.
- Development of Northeast our top Priority; We see immense potential in the Northeast and are committed to doing everything for the region’s overall progress.
- Rs 14,000 crore invested in development of Northeast in last 3 years.
- Rs 60,000 crore to be invested in Northeast in next two years;
- BJP’s agenda is all round development; Unprecedented investment for better road connectivity.
- Shillong-Nongstoin-Tura road will boost economic activities in the state; this 2,300 crore project will enhance connectivity and reduce transportation cost; Will work as East-West Corridor; This road is the result of the Government’s hardwork.
- Connectivity is a big challenge in Meghalaya; Road map for air connectivity being worked upon; promise to gift Shillong Airport with Airbus-Boeing which the government has given its nod to expand the airport, the same of which will cost 180 crore and will take one and half years to complete.
- Seaplanes can boost connectivity in Northeast;
- I can understand the pain that people are going through due to power deficit; For this, we target to provide electricity to all by December 2018;
- Want to make Meghalaya a tourist destination; For this, 100 crore has been sanctioned for development
- 47,000 crore is being spent on rail connectivity in Northeast.