DIMAPUR, Oct 15, 2017: Days after a news report with the headline ‘Rohingyas likely to attack Nagaland’ created waves of insecurity, the Nagaland Police have confirmed that they never received such a tip off from the Intelligence Branch even as it maintained that the source cannot be ‘verified’.
“We are not sure whether the report is true or false, we are still trying to verify the same but so far, we have not received any such tip off from the Intelligence Branch,” Nagaland Director General of Police (DGP) L. L. Doungel told The Northeast Today.
It may be mentioned that three days ago, a news report with the headline – Rohingyas likely to attack Nagaland was published by a news agency, the same of which was picked up by many National and regional media houses.
The reports created waves of insecurity in Nagaland after the information which was presumably handed over to a reporter of a news agency by a source from the Intelligence Branch of Nagaland Police stated that 2,000 Muslims have volunteered to take up arms against the Nagas, if the latter try to drive them out while adding that around 20 ISIS terrorists have entered Nagaland and are training the volunteers.
Stating that such news reports have the potential to disrupt communal peace and harmony, Doungel said that a renowned news agency which first carried the news should have verified the facts with the police before publishing the story. “Journalists are bound by journalistic ethics and they should have acted responsibly,” added the State DGP.
When asked whether it is a fake news report, Doungel said “I cannot say that the news is fake nor can I say it is true. We have to get the confirmation before we issue any disclaimer in this regard.”
He also informed that as soon as the reports started created ripples of disharmony in the state, the Muslim Council Dimapur has come forward to issue a statement and express their disappointment over such reports which sought to break the bond of brotherhood.
When contacted, the President of the Muslim Council Dimapur Ahidur Rahman has termed the news as ‘fake’ while condemning the news agency for carrying the report without proper verification.
Rahman also informed that they have asked the news agency in question to rectify the mistake and threatened to write to the Press Council of India (PCI) very soon. “It is very unfortunate to say that journalistic ethics has gone down the drains. Instead of being more constructive, they are however, disseminating destructive information which can affect communal peace and harmony,” Rahman said.
It may be mentioned that the MCD has issued a press release on Saturday expressing serious concern over the recent ‘fake’ news being circulated in the social media about the possible attack upon Nagas in Nagaland by Rohingya Militants.
“The religious Idgah Committee Dimapur has already clarified in the local dailies about the Imam and the allegations and the police also denied any such matter,” the council said in the release.
“We have lived in peace with the Nagas for 150 years and such news which has the capacity to disrupt the peace cannot be tolerated,” Rahman said while expressing his gratitude to the people of Nagaland for not over-reacting to the news report.
“This started because of the issue of the impending threat of illegal immigration and the Muslim community in the state is cooperating with the authority concerned to check illegal immigration into Nagaland,” he added.