Midday News Nuggets
1. Meghalaya MPSC Recruitment 2020: Apply online (327 Posts)
Meghalaya Public Service Commission (MPSC) has invited applications (Online-mode only) from genuine citizens of India for the various posts.
2. Naga Peace Talks: Top officials to meet NSCN-K leader Niki Sumi on Dec 28
A team of top officials is scheduled to meet National Socialist Council of Nagaland—Khaplang (NSCN K) leader Niki Sumi on December 28, with expectations that the final ceasefire agreement will be inked in the coming days.
3. Meghalaya registers 13 returnees from United Kingdom
Director of Health Services (MI), Government of Meghalaya, Dr Aman Warr on December 27 informed that 13 returnees from the United Kingdom (UK) have been detected in the state so far.
4. Trump signs COVID relief, government-funding measure
President Donald Trump has signed a USD 900 billion pandemic relief package that will deliver long-sought cash to businesses and individuals.
5. Seven dead, several injured in Assam road mishap
Seven people reportedly lost their lives, and 20 others were injured after a passenger bus collided head-on with a truck on National Highway-17 in Kokrajhar district in western Assam on Sunday.
6. Assam: Six arrested in connection with elephant deaths
A team from the state forest department arrested six individuals involved in the electrocution of two adult female wild Asian elephants in the Digholdorioli area in Sivasagar district of Upper Assam on Saturday.
7. Government begins COVID-19 vaccine dry run in four states
While India recorded its lowest single-day rise in COVID-19 in about six months on Monday, the government started dry runs of the COVID-19 vaccination programme in four states.
8. Federer to miss 2021 Australian Open
Roger Federer is withdrawing from the Australian Open while he continues preparing to return to action after two operations on his right knee.
9. COVID-19: Over 20,000 new infections reported in single-day
India's COVID-19 caseload rose to 1,02,07,871 with 20,021 infections being reported in a day, while recoveries have surged to 97.82 lakh, according to the Union Health Ministry data updated on Monday.
10. Nagaland to open up public spaces, intake capacity increased in religious places
As normalcy gradually starts creeping back into the state, the Nagaland Government has permitted the opening up of various public spaces.