Lorina Richmond, originally from Shillong completed her Masters in Social Work, with a specialization in Medical and Psychiatric Social Work from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), in 2005 and she is also a certified Play Therapist. Since then she’s been living and working outside of Shillong. She has worked as a consultant and full-time employee with well reputed national and international organisations working for women, children and youth spanning across many states(rural and urban).
But her dream has always been to come back to her birth place, Shillong, to give back and do something for the children and youth of the state. Now back in Shillong and armed with more than 10 years of experience in the field, she set up Be Happy Counselling Services to help children and youth in need of mental and emotional support. Lorina has always believed in approaching work with extreme professionalism,diligence and compassion. She hopes that Be Happy Counselling Services will help empower the children and youth, as well as help them achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Going forward, her ultimate dream is to establish a full-fledged resource and counselling center which will provide training and counselling in order to be able to address a wider range of issues and sectors.
Life is too short to miss out on Being Happy…
Be Happy, two very simple words, but for most a forgotten feeling. A simple question like – “When was the last time you felt happy?”, would evoke mixed reactions: “Oh my goodness I never really thought about it, it’s been so long!”. Some have even said, “I don’t know what happiness really feels like”. This is reality.
While everyone deserves happiness, very few understand how to attain it. It’s about finding that balance. And it all begins with one’s childhood.
Today’s children and teenagers are leading a fast pace life, most of them are not able to cope. They are also often misunderstood, not only by family but by society as a whole. Children and teens who are not guided the right way are often unable to express themselves, understand emotions, feelings or do not know right from wrong. To top it all there is academic pressure, expectations and an image to uphold. They are often lost and confused with no one to talk to. They also tend to indulge in risky impulsive behaviour in order to cope or get attention, which often sadly does not end well.
Potential is immense, but their dreams are often cut short because there is no one to guide them. Parents most times are helpless and are looking for answers on how to deal with their children.
Be Happy Counselling Services was started because there is need to help such people, children and the youth especially to achieve that balance so that they can grow up empowered and are able to reach their full potential, lead happy and fulfilling lives.
We provide a safe, compassionate and professional environment where children, youth and their families can come and talk to us in confidence.
Her Counselling Services cater to:
- Children and teenagers between the ages 3-18 years of age.
- Parents, Guardians and Teachers.
- Hospitals and Social Welfare case references (children and teenagers).
- Government and Private School case references (rural and urban).
Issues Addressed by our Counseling Services are:
*Teenage (bullying, sexuality and safety, self-esteem, peer pressure etc)
*Classroom & Student management (training and consultancy included)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All names and questions sent via the column page will be seen ONLY by the Counsellor. Therefore, details shared will be kept highly confidential.
The Counsellor will ONLY address/answer questions related to the following:
- Children and Teenage issues: For example, bullying, excessive phone use, time management, peer pressure, anger, sexuality, suicide, abuse,study skills, low self-esteem etc.
- An issue may or may not be resolved with just one question or answer. Therefore, if you choose to seek further help please feel free to call and book an appointment with the Counselor.
- The answer to your question will be mailed directly to you and published in the column with an alias name (which you will have to provide). Please note that the Counsellor will not reveal any personal details (name, email address, location etc.) in the column.
- If the Counsellor receives more than 1 query or question which are similar in nature, she will address them in ONE general answer.
- Please be specific in your questions. The Counsellor would like to know the following:
Age and gender of the person in question
Background and duration of presenting problem/ issue
How do you want the Counsellor to help you?
Whether you or the person in question have been to a Counsellor or Psychiatrist before, what was the diagnosis, outcome, medication (if any).
1. Please note that TNT- The Northeast Today in association with Be Happy Counselling services will not be able to give any warranty or guarantee that personal problems presented by a reader can or will be resolved.
2.TNT- The Northeast Today in association with Be Happy Counselling services does not accept any liability or responsibility for any consequences of a reader’s use of its content.
3. A reader’s use of the advice or information provided in a counselling column, their interpretation of what they read, or any effects on them or others, which they attribute to the column is their responsibility alone.