By Rahul Ghundiyal
In recent days, the most talked about issue among SEO experts is the possible new Google algorithm called Fred. This name has been put to an algorithm that Google has not yet confirmed its existence, but the evidence from the last few months is quite clear that something is happening.
During the 8th and 14th of March last year, there was much murmuring among the SEO technicians, since some of the websites reduced their web traffic radically. This did not go unnoticed by any of our technicians and they went to work to investigate what could be the cause of this drop in traffic on some of the websites.
What is the Fred algorithm?
The name of Fred as we said was put because Google has not yet confirmed its existence, so as Barry Schwartz said of www.seroundtable.com, all new Google algorithms without a name would give them the name of “Fred.”
This update of Google is not an SEO enhancer, but on the contrary, Fred seeks to penalize websites and is doing so. Google no longer seeks only to penalize websites by links or content, in this new update Google wants to help the browsing experience of its users, penalizing websites that contain a large number of ads, whether AdSense or affiliate. Some of the reasons why Fred can penalize a web page are the displacement of texts by advertisements, placement of ads near the links and the appearance of intrusive Popups.
Reading several SEO experts, this new Fred algorithm seems to be an update to an old algorithm called Phantom, since it was looking for the same objectives as Fred.
What are Fred’s goals?
As we have told you, Fred is Google algorithms news, especially with the intrusive ads that stain web pages. Fred looks for:
- Optimize users’ web experience
- Ending SPAM
- Remove intrusive ads that move the text of the webs
- Make annoying popups disappear
- That the websites have a good organization of the content
Why is Fred penalizing my website?
Google Fred, the possible fashion algorithm, not only penalizes for having a large number of web ads. It will also penalize our page if:
- There is displacement of texts from the web page so that adsthat create confusion and make clicks appear instead.
- Use of banners / ads that simulate the navigation menuor any of the buttons that the website may have. As in the previous point, this action creates confusion for the user and will go to a site that he did not want to go to.
- Placing ads very close to the links and buttons on the web. In this way (especially on mobile devices), if the finger goes a few millimetres, you will get the wrong button and it will take you to an external advertising link.
- To have more ads than text on the web, has it ever happened to you that you have visited a blog and it has an ad for each line of text? Google wants to penalize this type of pages.
- Take care of affiliate links. Fred will be responsible for veto links that were not related to advertising, but veto links in which the content has nothing to do with the friend website.
Fred will penalize websites in proportion to the user’s negative experience. So the worse the experience, the greater the penalty.
What precautions should we take with Fred?
- Create a high quality link building policy.
- If you add AdSense advertising or other media on the web, the ads should be placed in a clear place and that you see perfectly that it is an advertising banner.
- Do not put ads near links or buttons that create confusion. We must make it very easy for the user, the banners must be properly separated from any other link.
- We should not put many ads on our website.
- Reduce the number of affiliate links.
- Do not camouflage affiliate links on the web. That is, do not camouflage the links with another name and then reach the affiliation website.
- As a recommendation it is better not to have more than 3-4 affiliation links from a URL, and the text of this url should be between 1,000 and 1,500 words.
The future of the SEO world is uncertain every day, because even if they are minimal, Google makes updates every day of the year. SEO strategies should be done in the short term, working month by month the web to Google to see that the web should be among the top positions of your search engine.
Author Bio: Rahul Ghundiyal is 4 years experienced person and CEO of RNG SEO. He helps companies to increase traffic on their website. He loves his area of expertise and do work within his limits. You can follow him on Twitter, Facebook etc.