Sikkim has always enthralled a number of tourists both domestic and international travellers, from cleanest district to organic farming this state in the Northeast India is turning to be a crucial focal point for tourism. Located some 40 km from Gangtok and at an elevation of 3,753 m (12,313 ft), the beautiful Tsomgo lake is a must on every visitors.
Here are five factual information about Tsomgo Lake, also known as Changu Lake,
1. Located in the easternmost part of this Himalayan state, this glacial lake in East Sikkim can be visited while returning from the Nathu La Pass in the Indo-China border.
2. Tsomgo Lake is revered by the Sikkimese as sacred and associated with many myths and legends.
3. During summer the snow cover melts and forms the source for the lake. The Tsomgo Lake is surrounded by steep mountains which are covered with snow during winter.
4. The lake is the venue for the Guru Purnima festival which is also the Raksha Bandhan festival when the faith healers known as Jhakris of Sikkim assemble at the lake area to derive benefits from the healing qualities of the lake waters.
5. Indian Postal Service released a commemorative stamp on the lake on 6 November 2006.
Featured image: Internet