“Well, the genre is not accepted by everyone but it is growing big in India. Yeah, there are lack of opportunities and platform for hip-hop and not enough support so we have to struggle and hustle hard for this genre. But it will be better with the flow of time”
A lot of mainstream rap talks about doing drugs, about how “tough” they are, and a lot of degrading woman remarks. Of course, this does not make the entire genre bad. There are some rap artists/songs with some amazing lyrics and music that trigger one’s ear. This is however the case with every genre. There are pop, metal, rock and just about every genre that has songs that are going to offend but that doesn’t mean that the whole genre is bad. Saurab Sikdar from Assam is one among them who stood up against all odds and making music since last few years to redefine how this genre can strengthen the society by providing positive message.
Sikdar is currently working in a three piece project of conscious hip-hop. He is well known for his aggressive delivery and the emotions he give behind the flows and the bars. For the last few years he is performing in many gigs and concerts. Mostly his lyrical topic content is on Poverty, Life of struggling humans, Destruction towards the environment, human trafficking. He hails from a small town of upper Assam, Chabua. He is making it big for the love and the passion he for the genre “Hip-Hop”
Here is Sourab Sikdar with The Northeast Today
1. Musically, what are your biggest influences and who are your favourite musicians?
– I listen to a really wide variety of music so I’m influenced by many different genres and artists. My biggest hip-hop influences are Immortal Technique, Tupac Amaru Shakur, Vinnie Paz, Diabolic, Dmx but I’m also inspired by Eminem, Notorious Biggie, NWA, and Public Enemy.
2. What is the most difficult thing you had to endure in this rap music industry?
– Well, the genre is not accepted by everyone but it is growing big in India. Yeah, there are lack of opportunities and platform for hip-hop and not enough support so we have to struggle and hustle hard for this genre. But it will be better with the flow of time.
3. What do you think your listeners will get out of your music?
– From my music they will come to know about conscious stuff like social problems we all face every day, the destruction done by humans towards the environment, political issues, human trafficking and lots more.
4. Tell us something about your upcoming music video and the feature artist that you have taken in ‘Promise’.
– Well “Promise” is my second music video featuring Catthryn from Manipur. Catherine is one of the great female vocalist from Imphal, Manipur. I dedicated this song to my friends and my families out there and to all the peoples who support me. The video for “Promise” was shot by one of the good hip-hop producers from the Northeast, Avoid aka Ankan Sunuwar. So yeah, hoping for the best.
5. In what ways has your newest music changed from when you first started?
-Yeah, it changed a lot as I’m grinding my conscious stuffs right now. A bit change in my style and flow so yeah, every day we learn.
6.What are the main inspirations for the lyrics you write?
– I’m inspired lyrically by the things I see every day in my daily life. That could be anything ranging from natural beauty to social injustice.
7. What do you like to do in your free time?
-Usually I write lyrics and research content for the music.
8. Any upcoming EPs, albums or announcement from your side?
-My first music video “One last try” from Rocky Glock’s mixtape “Young Thrilled Desi” is out on YouTube. I’m working on a conscious project called “Rain in Sahara” with two talented musicians, Lain Heringman and Rocky Glock. “Rain in Sahara” is a deep conscious hip-hop fusion band incorporating elements as varied as Indian and western classical, electronica, and rock into a unique hip-hop sound. I want to shout to Lain Heringman, Rocky Glock and Avoid for all the supports.
Thank you for taking your time out. We wish you good luck for your upcoming projects.
(By Ritu Raj Boruah)