Why Northeast Corporates can’t move beyond IT & BPO Industry?
Because it is too risky! Yes, you read it right. Your job is not safe in the non-IT (Information Technology) and BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) sector and the salary offered can’t even fetch a basic cost of house-rent allowances.
If you are an engineering student on an education loan, you just can’t afford to join an industry disrupted by job instability or delay salary payment such as startups or marketing industry. You need to pay your EMIs on time or else your credit score would be affected and won’t afford another loan for your marriage or buying a house.
Once you are in the above Industry, your dream of moving back to your hometown or native place is very much next to impossible unless you belong to a well-to-do family.
Not all Northeast Corporates have the luxury of coming back and invest another five years in starting a business.
Even though you decide to move back to your native place, the experience of working with HCL (Hindustan Computers Limited) or TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) just don’t give you a learning curve to start your business. Whatever you have learned are being fed-upon and has got very little to do with self-learning because the Industry that you work caters to the US or European markets.
Unless you work for Amazon India in the tech domain where you develop applications for the Indian market, I won’t be surprised if your business becomes the next Amazon website of Northeast India and I doubt if Amazon India would leave you because of the contribution you make.
If you want to move out of the BPO & IT Industry of Gurgaon and Bengaluru, be ready for the following possible challenges:-
1. No transport and free meals or subsidised meals.
2. No provident fund benefits.
3. Salaries would be delayed by 7 or 10 days.
4. No healthcare insurance or cashless benefit if hospitalised.
5. The comfort of an MNC (Multinational Company) would just disappear.
6. If your office starts at 10 or 10.30 am, you would be leaving by 6.30 or 7 p.m in the evening if you happen to work in Delhi or Gurgaon.
7. Don’t even dream of paid leave. You can get leave for 4 or 5 days but the luxury of visiting your hometown for 15 or 17 days would be over.
8. Don’t be surprised if you are asked to work from home if urgency comes up even in the midst of your vacation.
But the benefits would be:-
1. You would be able to learn a lot about the business opportunities in India and your native places such as Nagaland, Manipur or Meghalaya.
2. You would know more about exploring business opportunities.
3. If you decide to move back to your native place, it won’t be difficult for you to start a small trading business with an investment of just Rs 25000 or Rs 30,000.
4. The business environment would be under your control and if you are still unmarried, you would prefer to create a brand name rather than running for something that doesn’t fetch you much.
5. You don’t need to think about contacts or connection because you can create one and won’t even bother about creating it because you don’t feel the need for it.
6. You would be more relaxing and neighbours around you would be busy wandering about your work because you seem so relaxed.