GUWAHATI: In a rare yet dangerous case that may as well be termed as carelessness on the part of parents, doctors at Gauhati Medical College (GMCH) retreived a safety pin inside the oesophagus of a six month old baby.
The incident incident came to light when 6-month-old Priyangshi suffered severe chest pain and was rushed to GMCH at Guwahati on Sunday by her parents. The detailed x-ray reports revealed that a safety pin was stuck in her oesophagus.
On detecting this, doctors stated that a complex surgery was required to remove the safety pin from the minor’s body.The baby who hails from Nalbari was admitted to the ‘cardio-throat-surgery’ ward at Gauhati Medical College Hospital (GMCH) on Sunday. Baby Priyanshi was operated upon by a team of doctors on Monday who successfully removed the safety pin from her oesophagus.
Doctors said the condition of Priyangshi, who was shifted to ICU after the surgery this morning, was “critical” and she would require to be kept under constant supervision. Doctors at the GMCH had earlier recovered a blade stuck inside a 4-year-old child’s oesophagus.
(Source: TNT Desk with inputs from internet sources)