GUWAHATI, MARCH 21 2017: Thirteen elderly patients, who had undergone cataract operation at a civil hospital in Assam’s Nagaon district under the National Blindness Control Programme (NBCP), have reported severe loss of eyesight.
The 13 patients are presently undergoing treatment at Sankaradeva Nethralaya. The operations were done on March 7 and 11.
Altogether 41 patients were operated upon and 13 reported loss of sight and severe infection in the eyes. These 13 people were sent to Guwahati last week for further treatment and referral. The Nagaon district joint director of health, AC Patar, is regularly being briefed on the condition of the patients.
On Monday, Patar told media person that the health department has already initiated an investigation to know what exactly happened. He added that except one, the condition of the rest is slowly improving.
“As of now, we cannot say how the complications happened. Three days after the operation, some patients complained that they couldn’t see and some reported infections. We are trying to find out the source of infections. Samples from the operation theatre have been collected and sent to GMCH. We are waiting for the results,” said Patar. The incident is a grim reminder of December, 2015, when five patients lost their eyesight after free cataract surgery at the Mahendra Mohan Choudhury Hospital (MMCH) in the city.
Source: The Times Of India