In a fresh twist to the Arunachal Pradesh crisis, Chief Minister Nabam Tuki resigned on Saturday, a few hours ahead of the much-anticipated floor test. Pema Khandu, son of former Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu, has been elected as the chief of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP).
Here are 5 things to know about Arunachal Pradesh’s next Chief Minister Pema Khandu:
1. Pema Khandu is the son of late Dorjee Khandu who was the sixth Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh who died in a helicopter crash.
2. On May 20, 2011, following his father’s death, Khandu was included in the state government as Cabinet Minister of Water Resource Development and Tourism
3. He won an uncontested election to the Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly from his father’s constituency Mukto on 30 June 2011. He stood as an Indian National Congress candidate.
4. As of 2014, he served as Minister of Tourism and Water Resources in the state government.
5. Khandu is a graduate from Hindu College (Delhi University).